Advent joy 12-12-21
Weekly study questions
- What would winter be like without Christmas? How is the world like winter without Christ?
- Do you have true joy in your heart? If so, where did you get it, when, and what did you pay? (So we can all go get some) Seriously, though, can you identify when you found that joy? What makes it possible?
- Read Luke 3:10-14
- What fruit of the spirit is reflected in the repentance of verse 11?
- What fruit of the spirit is reflected in the repentance of verse 13?
- What fruit of the spirit is reflected in the repentance of verse 14?
(Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.)
- Why did people start to think that John was the Messiah? (vs 15) Discuss our need for a higher power.
- What are the differences between Jewish baptism, John’s Baptism of Repentance, and Jesus’ baptism of the Holy Spirit?
- Discuss the difference between our view of repentance and Metanoia (the journey of changing one’s mind, heart, self, or way of life.)
- When have you asked God, “What should I do?” Can you remember specific times?
- Under what circumstances do you find yourself turning to God most often? Why?
- Why are these moments so important to the formation of our spiritual growth?
- John’s instructions to each of those asking questions was simple, live differently. We are to have integrity in the ordinary things that we do every single day. Where do you need to do better with this?
- Our repentance leads to growth of fruits of the spirit within us. Which fruit have you experienced the most growth in? the least?